Monday, February 18, 2008

China - February 18, 2008

Lots of interesting things to learn and see today. First, we headed to a nursery. This nursery was big...I mean really big! Over 116 square miles big. Within the facility, they were growing several types of flowers and trees. Also, the facility was looking at how to grow new types of plants. This picture is of me in front of my favorite Asian fruit...Dragon Fruit. It looks like a cactus but taste like a sweet strawberry and looks like a white kiwi. Also, this research facility is so big, that it contains its own zoo, for the workers and visitors.

I also had the opportunity to visit some peach and apple trees at the facility.

After touring the facility, we headed to the bamboo factory. This is another facility dedicated to research of the different types of uses for bamboo. Lots of stuff is made with bamboo, including: furniture, cloths, pictures and statues.

During the tour, we saw a map of where all the bamboo is grown. They also had a stuffed panda. Our hosts were very kind as we were treated to royal treatment.

After the tour, we came back to our hotel and I had the pleasure of visiting with a gentleman regarding trade over a duck dinner. The duck was very good. I learned a new way to make a duck taco.

Beijing is a gigantic city. It is going to host the summer games this year and they are building several new facilities.

Tomorrow will be a very busy day. We start with a meeting with the U.S. Ambassador to China and then tour the Forbidden Palace. After the tour, we will board a train to Xian. I will probably not have the opportunity to blog tomorrow but will try and catch-up on Wednesday. I have lots of other pictures to share when I get home.

Love you very much and give Jordan and mom big hugs and kisses.

God Bless,

Ottster

P.S. Tell mom I saw Hudson in China!

No comments: